Heard this morning from someone I admire:
“Meetings for the most part are completely unproductive, mind numbing and do nothing to foster teamwork.”
As a consultant, I am the maker of meetings. When I come to town, we’re gonna meet. I see it in their eyes when I enter the board room. Oh gawd, what is SHE going to make us do?
I pride myself on having productive meetings. Here are a few things I’ve found that help to turn your meeting from a time waster to a treasure.
1. Don’t have a meeting in the basement. You cannot be creative with fluorescent light. In fact studies have shown that artificial light sucks about 1.5 pounds of your soul from your body each hour.
2. Have an agenda. This sounds like a no-brainer but many people come to meetings because they are “on the calendar” not because they have a purpose or a goal.
3. Calculate the value of the attendees time when the meeting starts and the value of the outcome. Once the time expense has exceeded the value, someone is instructed to signal the meeting’s end with a blow horn.
4. Cut your meeting time in half. Seldom do meetings end early. This always puzzles me. They almost always end on time – because people have to get to their next meeting. Hmmmm……
5. Good coffee with real cream. Powdered cream says “We hate you and don’t value your opinion.”
6. Ban all Crackberries, iPhones, Droids, distractions. If the meeting is not important enough for you to turn off your email – you don’t need to have the meeting.
I’m just sayin’
Now, I gotta go. I have a meeting at 7:30.